Skip to content ↓

Reporting a Concern about a Child

It can sometimes be difficult to know what to do for the best if you are worried that a child is being harmed, hurt or neglected, you may think that someone else already knows and everything will be alright.

You might worry that by telling someone, you make matters worse for the child. Perhaps you’re concerned the family might be broken up and the children put in care (although actually, this rarely happens). You might think the problem will resolve itself. Or you may not know where to go for help. It might seem the easiest option is to do nothing. But please don’t. Trust your own judgement. It is important that you act.

If it's an emergency, you can call:
  • Customer First on 0808 800 4005 if you're worried that a child or young person is at risk of harm, abuse, or neglect.
  • Or call the police on 999